Join us for the first-ever Texas Marijuana Policy Virtual Lobby Day!
With access to the Texas Capitol largely restricted, we are utilizing a digital platform to host our Texas Marijuana Policy Virtual Lobby Day! This two-part Virtual Lobby Day is designed to create meaningful connections with legislators and their staff to advance marijuana law reform.
How to Participate
1) Lobby Day Orientation: Sunday, March 28th (Required)
You must register and complete a virtual lobby day orientation. Only those who complete the orientation will be invited to participate in our virtual lobby day. We will cover our policy goals and an overview of talking points along with guidance and expectations for your meetings.
Please register for one of our 1-hour orientation opportunities:
2) Virtual Lobby Day: Monday, March 29th
Join fellow constituents for a meeting with your legislators’ offices. Those who have completed our orientation will receive an invitation with meeting times and login instructions.
Our broad coalition and united efforts will bring about more responsible marijuana policies in the Lone Star State. We look forward to working with you toward a successful lobby day!
Lobby Day Schedule
Texas House Districts 1-50:
Check-in at 9:45am; Meeting from 10:00am-11:00am
Texas Senate Districts (All):
Check-in at 11:15am; Meeting from 11:30am-12:30pm
Texas House Districts 51-100:
Check-in at 12:24pm; Meeting from 1:00pm-2:00pm
Texas House Districts 101-150:
Check-in at 2:15pm; Meeting from 2:30pm-3:30pm
(Identify your Texas House and Senate Districts here.)
How to Prepare
We will be using the Zoom platform and advocates must have a Zoom account to participate. (Sign up for free.)
Because there are expected to be many advocates from each district, we encourage each person to prepare a brief statement about their support for reform and a longer letter to your legislators so they may better understand why you are so passionate about this issue. We will provide contact information for legislative staff so you may follow-up directly.
Resources: Identify your Legislators | Find Legislator Voting Records | Review Proposed Legislation | Craft your Testimony
Here are some tips for looking and sounding your best on camera: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YO6utfQm7Bg
Manage the aesthetics of your webcam view and optimize your meeting space for video.
- Lighting should be bright, even, and preferably come from in front of you and never behind you to avoid casting shadows on your face.
- Your background should be interesting but not distracting – consider using the Zoom Virtual Background feature to present from literally, anywhere! Note: older computers do not do a great job of rendering these virtual backgrounds unless you put up a green screen.
- Make eye contact: Look at your webcam instead of your screen. This will give the effect of eye contact and visual engagement.
- Use the gestures and mannerisms that you would typically use in person.
Ensure quality sound: It is important to keep background distractions to a minimum.
- Select a quiet area for your recording.
- Check the sound quality of your device before you start. Sometimes using a headset will get you stronger sound with less background noise.
- If at all possible, hardwire your internet connection. This will prevent the occasional slips in internet connectivity which create a garbled sound.
Thank you for your support and dedication to
marijuana reform in Texas!